Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Should we live united?

A particular commercial has been frequenting my television of late. The message is one which I think appeals to many people and calls them to "live united". It draws upon that part of every person that truly wants to help others. However, the simple phrase repeatedly employed caused me to pause and think about how united I really should be with others. To be fair I have no problem with the motivation in mind for the owner of the ad. I simply think that unity is one of those ideals that requires caution.


As a Christian believer I definitely would not want to unite with a group of people who hated Jesus. The question here is not whether I should love them, of course I should. Instead should I be so joined with them that I think, believe, and even live as they do? Obviously, to do so would cause me to abandon what I believe and who I live for. However, to be united with others for the wrong sort of cause would call for this very decision.


Oftentimes the values of a group of people are not perfectly clear. While they may seem to embrace worthy ideals there can be very hurtful motives behind them. It is therefore of tremendous importance to truly know who and what it is you are uniting with.

If it's your desire to follow Christ, as it is mine, then let me encourage you to exercise great caution with what you choose to embrace. Ultimately, if it does not bring Jesus honor then the question of unity should be no question at all.

No comments: