Friday, March 27, 2009

The Love of the Father

Every now and then I hear a song on the radio that somehow says exactly the message that is somewhere inside me. It's not necessarily one that's been carefully prepared for any particular person, but it dwells there just the same. Though I may not always be actively thinking of it, the thoughts and feelings remain. They rest there like an underground aquafur waiting only to be drawn out by some thirsty hands by way of a well and the working of a pump. This seems to be happening to me lately nearly every time I hear the song "Finally Home", by Mercy Me. I've now heard it enough times so that the first few strums have barely struck the guitar before I feel as though I'm the one primed. Then, as the first several lyrics land upon my ears I'm quickly reminded of a desire I believe God has placed deep within me.

The song begins, "I’m gonna wrap my arms around my daddy’s neck and tell him that i’ve missed him and tell him all about the man that i became and hope that it pleased him." As I heard this the other day I was struck by the depth of this message and surprised by how it affected me. I began to think of how greatly I long to stare into the face of my Heavenly Daddy and indeed do the very things the song spoke of. The song continued to play and draw out the reason for this longing. Having been made in the image of God and being called by Him as his son (thanks to Jesus) this longing is something which He's placed within me, and I believe all of His believers, to ever draw us toward Him. However, I realized there was more behind this longing for me. Much of it has to do, I think, with the desire I've had since I was a small boy to please my dad and to be close to him, however never really being able to achieve this. We both have blame to share for this failure and I love him dearly, yet somehow my unfullfilled longing as a little boy remains. I thank God that He has throughout His word shown me many times over that He desires to fulfill every desire deposited in me by His hand. So, I've learned to look to Him as my true Father in Heaven, the One I am really made to glorify, to bring honor to...to please.

Still, the song played on while these things were going through my mind and then others also entered my thoughts. I considered the fact that many people, even believers, have a terribly challenging time relating to God as a loving and caring father. For them it may not be so simple a matter of not having the relationship with their dads which they desired and needed. Instead, they may have been terribly hurt, abused, or even betrayed by the very person who is supposed to be their greatest earthly source of strength, defense, provision, and shelter. How in the world is such a person supposed to then be able to look upon God as a father? For to do so evokes feelings of great pain and conjures images which should never have to be etched in one's memory to begin with. For them, the idea of a Heavenly Father is a truly terrible thought inflicting a new wound every time it's considered. Even if they know and believe the truth in God's word about Him feelings of Him being the opposite may seem inescapable.

If any of you reading this feel that such a description could be yours may I offer that such pain and brutal memories are not lost upon the Lord. He too is deeply wounded by the things you've had to endure and indeed wants to bring you healing. I would not attempt to try and offer any explanation or reason for the pain which you've walked with for so long. The best I can personally offer is my own experience to you. Somehow, God overcome the hurt and pain that had gripped my own life and revealed Himself to me as the loving and caring Father He had always been, but which I had not before recognized.

Dear Friends, in spite of the hurt and pain which you may have known God wants you to know how desperately in love with you He really is. While others have inflicted wounds within you, even broken sacred trusts, He never will. He truly wants to embrace you as His own, and offer you His strength and defense, His provision and shelter. His desire for you is so great that He even gave His own life to prove it.

As this entry ends let me encourage you to consider these words of Moses to the Israelites as words meant for you...

The Lord your God, who is going before you, will fight for you as he did in Egypt, before your very eyes, and in the wilderness. There you saw how the Lord your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way until you reached this place. ~ Deuteronomy 1:29b-31










No comments: