Sunday, January 4, 2009

To Resolve...or Not?

Someone asked me the other day what my resolutions were for this new year. It was a fairly simple question for me to answer because I really don’t have any. However, I then explained that while I believe very much in the value of making worthy resolutions it seems there is something lacking in the motivation behind these when they are centered only on a calendar date.

So does that mean New Year’s resolutions are never worthwhile? Of course not! I think that just maybe we ought to base our desires for personal change and growth on something more than the passage of time though. And perhaps we ought to tell those that care about us the things we want to grow in. Then, they can either tell us if we're completely off our rockers, or encourage us in good change.

Before I finish up this simple query I do have one last question. If New Year’s Day should not be considered the best source of motivation when it comes to personal change, then what is? Well, the Lord always desires to speak to us and call us away from bad habits, or simply into healthier ones. To me, this is truly good news because God is not bound to only encourage is to resolve something new in our lives when January 1st rolls around. Also, if I happen to fail at an annual resolution it doesn’t really matter because the Lord will continue to speak to me, as well as equipping me to embrace His resolutions for my life.

So, go ahead and make those resolutions, but try and do so with an understanding of what the Lord desires for your life. Let Him be the one that guides you and equips you for your journey…And may you call upon Him to do so continually.



"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: