Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chasing Barry Sanders

A funny thing happened on the way to the grocery store yesterday. As I was driving down the hi-way with my wife and kids, we spotted what appeared to be a little puppy running this way and that, in the middle of the road, oblivious of the 50 mph traffic. As an animal lover in the first degree, I could not allow this emergency to go by without responding. So, with a fortuitous break in the traffic, I made a u-turn, pulled into the shoulder, and began my best impersonation of Pavlov... unfortunately, I had with me neither dogfood or bell.

I was able to coax the little dude (of course, it could have been a female, but aren't all dogs really boys?) within arms reach several times as I improvised (not having any dogfood) with a ripped plastic bag and a rock... his vision must not have been up to the usual standards. But, I digress. As he came near I attempted to coral the little fella but each time he escaped my grasp. This resulted in a harried chase down the side of the hi-way, sidewalk, and side streets which seemed necessary as he consistently would have gone back into traffic if not for "shewing". Eventually the chase concluded under the carport of an apartment complex parking lot, about a 1/2 mile from the original scene.

My wife even assisted in my attempt to liberate this sopping wet, grimmy, ball of a dog from apparent danger... but to no avail. When we had him nearly detained, he became increasingly irritated (clearly he didn't understand that our desire was to keep him from harm by not allowing him to go where he'd like - especially when that would most possibly mean beneath the wheels of a 1-2 speeding mass).

Dejected at my failure to help this dog, and finally gasping for breath, I succombed to the realization that little "Barry Sanders", as my wife and I decided to name him, would not be rescued. As I returned to our vehicle and settled my distraught little girl in the back seat, my beloved wife turned to me and simply said "you can't help him if he doesn't want to be helped". Of course, she was absolutely right, but that reality will not prevent me from chasing other "Barry Sanders" wherever they might be. For, it is my duty, it is my call and yours, to venture wherever we must to help those scared, lonely, cold and wet balls of fur created by God.

4 comments:

Nancy Kuhn said...

Hey Tim,
I enjoyed reading your story. I didn't realize you were such a gifted writer. And the message of the story came through loud and clear to me - that we are all called to try to rescue those who are going astray. Good job.

Tim Vockrodt said...

I'm glad you liked it, and thank you for your kind words. After this little event was over I simply could not avoid what seemed like obvious symbolism. The story is completely true but I think also an excellent metaphor for our call to minister especially to the hurting.

Anonymous said...

Yes!
Very true.
I just hope you dont chase my half a mile or i might have to clock you one hahahaha! JK.

I love you bro. Good writing. I enjoyed it very much!

Tim Vockrodt said...

You never know Jody. If it appeared you were about to get smushed in the midst of a busy hi-way you might just finding me attempting to chase you down. :)

Thanks for your kind words.