Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Saltwater For Her Soul

I was only 8 years old when I began to recognize a transformation occurring within my grandmother. She had developed a very serious case of lung cancer, along with other complicating conditions. I remember rather vividly some weekend trips to the Oregon Coast with my beloved grandparents the last 2 summers she was alive. As she would muse of her desire to walk along the beach and allow the embrace of soothing ocean waves to reach her the mind of my gigantic, yet utterly gentle grandpa was already at work. To the mind of a little boy my grandma would explain how the saltwater helped to sooth her feet and truly made her feel well.

All of this was more than enough for me to decide that we certainly should go. I loved the beach already, and if it was going to make my grandma well then there couldn't possibly be anything further to figure out except what to take along. Before I knew it we seemed to have crested the hill as we traveled along the hi-way and the ocean was in sight. Yet, well ahead of any ocean wave there seemed to be a surge of peace and healing that overcame my grandma. I was certainly excited for her to be done with all of this cancer business and for those rude sores to remove their grip from her body. My grandparents would take what must have been incredibly relaxing strolls as the edge of the waves would slide smoothly across their feet, back and forth. Of course, I couldn't notice the rapidness of her healing that simply must have been taking place with all of that ocean saltwater because I was too busy challenging waves twice my height. Nevertheless, I was thrilled to know that she would soon be well and was therefore content to watch them walk along as I fought to my heart's content.

I've thought about those days and memories many many times these last 20 years or so. Most recently I thought of them as I jogged along a beach alone enjoying the same gentle embrace of the ocean my grandma had once known. Her own fight with cancer ended when I was just 9, and she only 63. I still remember the scene in our living room as my mom got off the phone and delivered the terribly dreadful news to us kids. I was truly heart-broken. It just didn't seem to be real, but before long it sunk in. In spite of her passing so many years ago it was just this week as I was enjoying that jog when I finally realized the saltwater healing she spoke of. As they both walked along in the sand and the water there was a peace of such depth that must have been instilled in the well of her soul. I believe the several trips she would make there as she attempted to fight off her enemy was for the healing she desired inside. Ultimately I believe the Lord was meeting her again in those times and places and preparing a healing for her far greater than she could have ever known as long as she lived here.

She never intended the saltwater to be for her hands and feet, but for her soul. I thank my God that He used something so basic as water, sodium, and sand to bring her restoration and the healing she truly needed.

Psalm 23:1-3a
The Lord is my shepherd, and I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul.

Whatever the dark valley you or your loved one may find yourself in may you allow the Lord to lead you beside still waters and restore your soul.

2 comments:

... said...

That was for me.
How do I know? Well,
1. The Lord IS leading me beside quiet water (rough water at times).
2. It was just the day before (your run) we walked on that beach and talked about everything from God, to decisions in life, and even aliens!
Not only that, I was supposed to go on that run with you (well in my mind). On top of all that, I felt God was speaking to me through your words Tim... Just like every other word you have ever uttered in my presence.

Tim Vockrodt said...

I must say you are far too kind my friend. I am glad to know you are embracing God's leading Jody. I pray you continue to do so.