Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Sublte Fade of Cynicism

What do you do when the fading leaf of cynicism has fallen to the ground and is beginning to settle in the soil of your heart? Like any attitude, ill or healthy, we can quickly recognize the things we feel toward others and develop opinions about these individuals based on our feelings. We may even feel justified in a particularly negative attitude if we know of wrong choices or behaviors, having been displayed by them. Yet, what do you do when a momentary response has subtly changed, like a fading and falling leaf, to become the new way of interacting with this individual?...and...despite the recognized illness and hurtfulness of the other's behavior we seemed to have lost the ability to really love them?

Oh, and I do not mean the kind of contrived love that can be identified by the quick way we respond to those we know we should love and return their spoken sentiments to them like a neatly folded napkin tucked into its drawer. What do we do when the love that Paul spoke of isn't resident within us, at least concerning this person for whom we've become cynical?

As I sit here in a cozy Northwest coffee shop the Lord didn't take much time to show me that I had my own illness of cynicism eating away at me. He used the words of Paul in 1 Corinthians 13, verses 6 and 7 to be exact, as a mirror to my soul. I realized, at least concerning a certain individual, that the love I spoke was no longer rising to the the protection, trust, hope, and perseverance that my dear friend Paul said should at least in part define love. Then I was further convicted when the Lord reminded me that in the youthfulness, and foolishness, of my own life I had done many things which caused me to be soiled and shamed in His presence...Yet, in His great grace and love me He took me in, truly washed me clean, and called me His own. So, how can I not display the same kind of concern and compassion for another?

So, once again, I ask you my dear friends, what do you do when cynicism keeps you from truly loving another?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Perhaps two lines of thought, and neither of which fit properly into the heart of a Christian.

The first says - If you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all.

The second says absence makes the heart grow fonder - which is to say that if you avoid the person long enough you may find the cynicism has at least dwindled to a point you can stand to be in the same room with them.

Both of these say leave the person alone for a while - which we both know is not the correct response.

A larger question to this would be, "What do you do when the cynicism you speak of extist, and that cynicism makes it so you cannot love that person as you should, but rather what you really feel toward them is a disdain bordering hate"? Then - further still - when that person is a link to others whom you do love, but even your love for them is affected by the feelings you have for the one.

This human condition - now we know in part...one day we will know in full. Now we love only as people - one day we will know how to love fully and unconditionally.

Tim Vockrodt said...

Thanks for your comment Jim.

In response to the questions you left I have to respond honestly. It seems that whenever I recognize a cynical attitude toward someone the Lord challenges me to first forgive them. In fact if I can't do this then my attitude will only worsen further detiorating any relationship I may have with them.

Once I've been able to forgive them I usually have to face the fact that I also have need of being forgiven and to confess my own sin to the Lord, at a minimum.

In the end I believe Jesus desires that we do everything we can to maintain Godly relationships with one another. Wherever an attitude exists that inhibits this goal it must be eradicated. It often is only in recognizing Christ's great forgiveness for us that we are then empowered to forgive others and so be released from things that prevent the fruit of God's love in our lives, and toward others.